“We have our own style down here in the South. Yes, even for our babies…for special occasions (all holidays, Sunday mornings at church, SEC games, picture day at school, or anytime grandma is visiting), southerners step it up a notch with a Southern style that is truly unique.” – Jenny Bradley for Southern Living, May 2017
I confess, I’m a Southern mama, and I love dressing my little ones! This time of year makes me excited seeing all of the sweet spring and summer collections.
In addition to boutique and online shopping, seasonal trunk shows are a great way to check out unique clothing in a personal setting. Shrimp and Grits Kids is one such line that offers trunk show shopping. Founded by Megan Hewitt in Charleston, SC, Shrimp & Grits Kids’ mission is to provide a line of clothing that keeps children adorably and comfortably dressed through classical and whimsical styles that are affordable. “Children should be able to dress like children, and moms should be able to afford it,” said Hewitt.
Mother of two and local Shrimp & Grits Kids rep, Megan Harrington, will be hosting a trunk at her home this Tuesday, Jan. 28, from 9:30-5pm and Wednesday afternoon from 3-7pm. She has also put together a rookie’s guide to trunk show shopping with some great tips:
1. It’s essentially like shopping with a personal shopper. Your hostess is going to be able to pull some options in your size while you’re shopping, making things easy for you. She’ll know the line well so she can answer any questions or make suggestions.
2. You’re in her home, so it’s low key, meaning you can come as you are and you can bring your kids to try anything on (and then there’s the perk of the built in play date, so you can chit chat with your host over a snack or beverage!) with ease.
3. Perks! I’ve always offered up giveaway drawings (bring a friend), and at the very least, free shipping. I try to accommodate my best trunk show shoppers with any hassle of returns. I can also help them to get the most bang for their buck.
4. Shoppers get to see and feel everything first-hand. It’s always nice to try outfits on your kiddos, but usually folks are happily suprised by how good the materials feel, and the clothing always just looks so cute in person.
5. Moms can preview the collection online and plan ahead before attending the trunk show to identify pieces they’d like to try-on or order when they arrive.
6. There is no middleman. You’re getting fantastic, quality clothing at a great price point, directly from the company to you. They don’t manufacture clothing for retail spaces that have high overhead, so it’s a win win for the mama on a budget or who has multiple kids to shop for!
7. The designs are unique so your children won’t be dressed like everyone else at the same events.
8. The sibling coordination is fantastic. There’s something for everyone from baby to big kid. Even with limited quantities on different releases, there is so much cuteness to chose from.
9. As with most quality children’s clothing lines, the value holds up when it’s time to resell or consign your outfits.
10. You’re supporting a SC, female-owned business!
We are “whaley” loving the coordinating whale smocked bishop dress and bubble and can’t wait to view the entire collection.
For your chance to win a $25 gift card to shop Shrimp & Grits Kids spring/summer collection, be sure to:
2. Like the Giveaway post.
3. Tag a friend and comment with what item you would order.
4. For more entries, tag more friends and subscribe to the blog, A Little Lovely!
The gift card winner will be announced on Tuesday, Jan. 28!